2 to 2.5 cups – grated winter melon/ash gourd/ boodkumbalakai
1.5 cups – Sugar
4 to 5 strands – Saffron
1/2 tsp – elaichi/cardamom powder
1 tbsp – raisins/cashew mixture
2 + 2 tsp – ghee/clarifiedButter
- Drain out excess water from the winter melon and grate.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan and roast the grated winter melon until it is coated well with ghee.
- Then pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles, or until cooked completely.
- Transfer the contents to the pan and saute it on medium heat until all the water evaporates.
- Once the quantity is reduced to three fourth, add sugar and mix well.
- Cook further, until all the moisture evaporates and the winter melon becomes a single lump.
- It usually takes about 40-50 mins.
- Stir frequently towards the end.
- Add elaichi, and saffron and mix well.
- Roast raisins and cashews in ghee and add to the halwa.
- Serve hot.