INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
For the gulabjamuns:
• 1 cup milk powder
• ¼ cup all purpose flour or maida
• 1 tsp oil or ½ tsp ghee
• a pinch of salt (optional)
• a pinch of baking soda
• 1 to 2 tbsp yogurt
• a few blanched pistachio or almond slices for garnishing
for the sugar syrup:
• 2 cups water
• 1.5 cups sugar
• 3-4 green cardamoms, husked & crushed or powdered
• a pinch of saffron/kesar (optional)
• 1 tsp rose water (optional)
preparing the sugar solution:
1. mix water, sugar, cardamom and saffron.
2. keep this sugar solution on fire and cook till you get a syrup consistency.
3. there should be no thread formation in the sugar solution.
4. stir in the rose water and keep aside.
Preparing The Jamuns:
1. first mix the milk powder, all purpose flour, soda in a bowl.
2. add oil or ghee and just 1 tbsp of yogurt.
3. mix and keep on adding little of the yogurt to get a soft sticky mixture.
4. the dough should not be crumbly or dry. if it is then add some yogurt.
5. make smooth small balls from the dough.
6. heat the oil and the reduce the flame to low.
7. add the balls and fry them stirring often to get even color.
8. when they become golden, remove from a slotted spoon and add them to the sugar syrup.
9. let them soak in the sugar syrup for atleast 1-2 hours.
10. gulabjamuns can be served warm or cold. if they are at room temperature, then warm in the microwave and serve gulabjamun topped with sugar syrup.