INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 to 3.5 cups grated bottle gourd or lauki or dudhi
- 500 ml milk, which has been already boiled before
- 7 tbsp sugar – if you wish increase to 8 tbsp for a very sweet taste
- 3-4 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 4-5 cardamoms, powdered or crushed
- ½ cup chopped almonds and cashews
- in a kadai or deep pan combine milk and grated lauki or bottle gourd.
- bring the whole mixture to a boil and then lower the flame.
- simmer the mixture on a low flame and keep on stirring in between.
- the bottle gourd will cook in the milk and the milk will start to reduce and evaporate.
- when the milk has 75% reduced, add crushed cardamom, chopped almonds and cashew nuts to the mixture.
- add ghee when the all the milk has evaporated.
- mix the ghee with the rest of the mixture and cook for a minute
- lastly add the sugar and mix it with the halwa.
- the sugar will melt and the halwa becomes a little liquidy.
- cook the lauki halwa for a few minutes. do keep on stirring the lauki halwa.
- when you know by looking at the lauki halwa that the consistency is just right, switch off the burner.
- serve lauki halwa hot or you can also serve the lauki halwa cold.